Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Blimpy Burger

Warning: vegetarians, vegans and low-fat enthusiasts should avert their eyes and stop on back another day!

Blimpy Burger is one of the must-see attractions in Ann Arbor... admittedly a dive, it has been in existence since 1953 and looks it. Old, dingy, cash only - but the food, oh my!

The burgers are amazing...they grind their own beef and the patties are really tiny with the intent of stacking several. I usually get a double and Jim gets a triple. We've analyzed this and think the great flavor is partially from the additional surface area on the grill. The toppings are the second key component - they basically have anything. On this day we got our usual: grilled onions and mushrooms, swiss cheese, green and black olives and dijon mustard. Yum. (Jim and I share the opinion that dijon is a key component to any great burger!)



The onion rings are awesome too. I like onion rings, but 90% of the time I find they are just okay...here, they are *perfect*. Not too breaded, but just enough. Not greasy, but enough to be crisp and yummy. It's probably a good thing we live 11 hours away :) Anyway, while we were there we saw a poster and learned that Blimpy Burger was featured on the Food Network show, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I googled it, and you can watch a clip here on You Tube. They captured it well, even the intimidating ordering process!


No comments: