Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Time flies when you're having fun! Each anniversary, Jim and I turn to each other and wonder where the year went. Somehow, they just keep adding up...and going by faster. You know, we feel really young but I don't know that we can classify ourselves that way when we've been married for NINE YEARS. Dude...that's like, a long time. And I didn't have all this gray hair 9 years ago.

So anyway, we hit the downtown mall to celebrate. We strolled around, listened to the Friday night outdoor concert, and left our mark on the "freedom of speech wall". Finally, we had dinner at a Japanese restaurant that we had meant to try for years. We skipped the swanky interior for a modest outdoor table...less embarrassment over potential baby outbursts.


But let's get to the good stuff...the food! We had miso soup, sashimi, rock shrimp tempura and wagyu beef skewers three ways (garlic, miso, wasabi)...all washed down with some Pinot Blanc. I was feeling a tad adventurous and asked to have a quail egg added onto my Ikura (salmon roe). Why, oh why, was I assuming I would have a cute little hard boiled quail egg on my sashimi? No, out came a raw egg cracked onto a big pile of salmon eggs. (So very eggy!) Jim had to do a bit of cheer leading, but I eventually ate it all in one enormous bite. Not my favorite.


As a reward, we made our way to the local gelato place. Jim had mexican coffee and I had cardamom and chipotle chocolate (it had a kick!)...Yum. Poor Charlie just kept trying to reach for our cups. It made me feel rather guilty and evil, as the one who withholds gelato yummy-ness. Maybe next year little man! :)

No comments: