Today's subject: car travel.




Have you ever driven 12 hours with a baby? The potential for disaster was huge, but thankfully Charlie was pretty easy on us. Most of the time. Saving the day was a CD given to us by a co-worker, featuring 1940's children's songs. It is seriously vintage. Of course, Jim and I have now memorized every song and hear it echoing through our heads ALL THE TIME. ("I drop my candy, pick it up, pick it up...") Charlie loves it, and the songs seem to have magical powers. If he starts to cry, we turn it on and suddenly have a content baby. Wow.
Everyone asks us why we don't fly. Well, we must be the world's worst packers because our car is always so completely loaded down with stuff, flying just seems like an impossibility. (At least, in the modern age of baggage fees). Maybe someday we will, once the baby paraphernalia is reduced. In the meantime, the road beckons. I secretly love it though...being trapped for hours with people I love, eating horrifyingly unhealthy food, seeing the country and talking late into the night. Not so awful.
Here are some pictures of the Wise family on the road...
No comments:
Post a Comment